|Disclaimer||Current Visitors: 1.||Visitors: 41104||Page Hits: 415126||Page Last Updated - Friday, 26th August 2011 14.10|
The central panel depicts, as seems most appropriate for a window above the pulpit, the Holy Spirit descending into the congregation. The blue background stands for the sky. “Behind” the blue background the artist has depicted a faint glow suggesting the glory from which the dove has come.
The Holy Spirit is central, not only in the life of the congregation, but also in giving meaning to the various aspects of our Christian faith. So in the various surrounding panels are depicted the various symbols of the faith illumined by the Spirit.The central position below the dove would naturally have been occupied by the cross. In this case that position is taken by the Cup, because of the special importance of the cup in the tradition of our congregation. It stands also for the central mystery of our faith. Our Lord refers to the Cross as a Cup he must drink.
Central above the figure of the Dove is the Flame of the Holy Spirit. Other symbols depicted are the Corn of Wheat which was cast into the ground, and the Fruit of the Vine which was Christ’s blood; the Bible and the Lamp of Truth; The Shepherd Symbols of the Scrip and Crook, and the fish which stands (in the Greek) for “Jesus Christ Son of God Saviour”; the Cross and the anchor of Hope.
It will be seen from the placing of the symbols how well balanced they are, not merely from the point of view of colour and design, but also with respect to theological truth.
The artist is Mr John Blyth, Edinburgh, the youngest of a very distinguished group of stained glass artists.
Reference, Blantyre Old Parish Magazine, April 1953